What is Deviled Fish
Deviled fish is a Sri Lankan stir fried fish made with fish pieces like sailfish, tuna and a spicy sauce. Deviled Fish is a well-known and delicious meal. The Sri Lankan population considers this to be one of the most delectable dishes. In addition, this becomes an amazing famous meal in most of the countries.
This dish is perfect if you’re searching or trying for a tasty seafood appetizer, or as we call it, bites/starter. This spicy fish stir-fry with a sweet and spicy sauce is not only a terrific side dish, but it also makes it easy to prepare simple weekend lunches.
People adore this meal, known as ‘Deviled Fish,’ as an addition to their supper, and many of the young enjoy it as a side dish known as ‘bite’ in Sri Lanka on special occasions. The Portuguese and Dutch populations in Sri Lanka inspired this meal. This was a popular meal in Sri Lanka’s coastal region.
Onion, capsicum, and tomatoes are also used to give this fish stir fry dish more crunch. This can be served with a sweet and sour sauce and it is a powerful combination. The sugar adds sweetness, while the vinegar adds sourness.
Use only fresh chili flakes instead of chili powder in this meal. Sri Lankan chili is well-known across the subcontinent, and the country is well-known for its spices. Adding extra sauce will enhance the flavor.
Fried rice, yellow rice and also rice and curry may be served with the deviled fish stir-fry if you wish to offer lunch with a few additional Sri Lankan foods. Serve with coconut roti, naan, paratha or godamba roti as a supper alternative.
Reduce the sauce to make the deviled fish a bit drier, then put it between tortillas or parathas to create fast wraps.
For this recipe, firm fish cubes should be used to prevent breaking of pieces. And also, to get spicy flavor can be added extra green chilies or chili flakes.
What is Starter
The starter is often served as the first course of a dinner, before the main dish. Starters come in a broad range of flavors and may be served hot or cold.
Deviled Fish Recipe
For Marinating Fish
- 500 g Fish
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Pepper powder
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
For Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Onion
- 4 Capsicum
- 2 Tomato
- 3 Green Chilies
- Oil for Frying
For Marinating Fish
- Wash, clean and cut fishes into small pieces.
- Takea bowl and add fish cubes and turmeric powder.
- Mixthoroughly, then rinse the fish twice. Any excess water should be properly drained.
- Takeanother bowl, and place the fish cubes. Season them with pepper powder, redchili powder, and salt.
- After few minutes, Fry the fish cubes.
For Making Fish Sauce
- Cut the onions, tomatoes, green chilies,and capsicum into thick slices.
- Placethe wok over a low-medium heat and add 2 tbsp of oil, garlic – ginger paste,green chilies.
- Thencook for a few seconds till the scent is released.
- Next add capsicum and cook for 3 minutes and then add onion, and tomato.
- Cookfor 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until they soften.
- Then add tomato sauce, soy sauce, and red chili flakes.
- Overlow medium heat, cook for 3-5 minutes.
- You can add extra tomato sauce, red chiliflakes, and salt as your favor.
- Next, add the fried fish to the sauce.
- Thenmix well fried fish and sauce and cook it for 2-3 minutes in low heat.