Chicken dum biriyani is an Indian dish. Indian cuisine is one of the world’s most diverse cuisine. Religious beliefs and culture in India strongly influence their cuisine. Now all over the world is trying to make Indian dishes. 20–42 percent of the population in India, follow a strict vegetarian diet. Less than 30 percent population in India are regular meat-eaters.
The word Biriyani belongs to Persian words. They are Birian and Birinj. The meaning of Birian is Fried before Cooking and birinj is rice. The biriyani was brought to India by Mughals. Biriyani is a complete meal. It includes rice, meat, vegetables and spices. Sometimes in addition eggs and potatoes in certain varieties.
One of the popular legends associated with the evolution of the biriyani is the story related to the wife of Shah Jahan. She asked chefs to prepare a balanced diet of rice and meat for malnourished soldiers. They prepared a dish with rice, meat, spices and saffron. It is the biriyani.
Long grained rice like basmati is often used for this recipe. If you don’t have them, you can use samba / keeri samba. But it is better to use rice like basmati.
Any types of meat can use for this recipe like chicken, beef, pork. This recipe is based on chicken. But you can add any meat for this according to your favor. The chicken should be seasoned to make the biriyani. For seasoning chicken, use curd or yogurt.
Spices are added to enhance the flavor and taste of the biriyani. For preparing biriyani, can add many spices like cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, garlic. Also when preparing this, add biriyani masala / garam masala. It is a powder that made from good quality whole spices. It is used to increase the flavor of the biriyani. But you have to choose a good quality garam masala / biriyani masala.
Coloring is used to add color to the rice. You can choose green / orange / pink / any other color for preparing biriyani. For this recipe, have used egg yellow color for coloring.
- Curd / Yoghurt
This is added for seasoning the chicken.
There are few types of biriyani.
- Hyderabadi Biriyani
This is the most popular biriyani in the world. The main ingredients of the dish are rice, meat and spices. This biriyani is made as two layers of cooked rice and cooked meat.
2. Calcutta Biriyani
This is originated from exiling Wajid Ali Shah (Nawab of Awadh) from Lucknow. This biriyani belongs to Bengal. For enhancing the flavor and color, add rose water and saffron. Potato and eggs are added to this biriyani.
3. Lucknow Biriyani
The preparation of this biriyani is mostly similar to the preparation of Calcutta Biriyani. But the difference is the absence of potatoes. It uses a few spices, but has a rich flavor.
4. Thalasseri Biriyani
This dish is popular among Malabar Muslims. This biriyani is originated in Kerala. Adding meat and spices are similar to the other varieties.
5. Bombay Biriyani
This is Irani style biriyani. It has a sweet flavor. Unlike the other varieties, this is different because of using oils and fried onions.
6. Sindhi Biriyani
This is a famous part of their cuisine in Pakistan. Rice, meat, vegetables and meat are the main ingredients of this biriyani.
7. Tehari Biriyani
This is a street food in Kashmir. This is made as a Hindu variation.
8. Dindigul Biriyani
This biriyani is originated from Dindigul in Tamil Nadu. Use spices, curd and lemon juice to give the sour and tangy taste.
9. Ambur Biriyani
This biriyani is derived from the Northern part of Tamil Nadu and introduced by Nawab of Arcot. This is also called the Vaniyambadi Biriyani because it is a famous dish in Ambur as well as Vaniyambadi. The dominating element of Ambur biriyani is meat.
10. Mughlai Biriyani
This biriyani is originated from Mughlai. This dish was famous in India, after the Mughlai came to India. Now it is famous in Delhi.
Let’s try to make Chicken Dum Biriyani.Jump to Recipe
- 1 Pot or Rice Cooker
- 1 Heavy Bottom Pot
- 500 grams samba/keeri samba/basmati
- 100 grams butter If takes ghee instead of butter, it will be 5tsp
- 250 grams chicken Instad of that can use beaf, lamb, pork or any other meat.
- 2 cloves, cardomom, cinnamon each
- 100 grams onion
- 6-7 raw pepper
- 2 tsp ginger – garlic paste
- curry leaves, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- 2 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp biriyani masala / garam masala Good quality whole spices and spice powder increase the flavor of biriyani. So choose a good quality garam masala/ biriyani masala.
- egg yellow coloring
- 1 cup yoghurt / curd
- Cut the meat into small pieces, add some egg yellow pigment and bring to a boil.
- Then wash the rice well and cook the rice using the chicken boiled water.
- Add some salt to the rice.
- Take the boiled chicken, add chilli powder, pepper and a pinch of salt and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Now take a pot and heat it with butter or ghee.
- First, fry the finely chopped onions and finely cut raw peppers.
- Then add ginger – garlic paste, some turmeric powder, curry leaves, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and let them fry.
- Finally add biryani powder to it.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and fry well.
- Then add milk or yoghurt to it and prepare the chicken curry.
- Then add some coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Once the chicken curry is well cooked, remove it from the oven.
- Then add cooked rice and chicken curry to a bowl and then mix everything together.
- If desired, you can add roasted cashews and raisins to this biryani rice.
Do you like to make desserts for your family and friends?