Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani is the most popular biriyani in the world. The main ingredients of the dish are rice, marinated chicken, and spices. This biriyani is made as two layers of cooked rice and cooked meat.
Hyderabadi Chicken dum biriyani belongs to Indian cuisine. Indian cuisine is one of the world’s most diverse cuisine. Religious beliefs and culture in India have strongly influenced their cuisine. Now the high population of the world is trying to make Indian dishes. 20–42 percent of the population in India, follow a strict vegetarian diet. Less than 30 percent population in India are regular meat-eaters.
The word Biriyani is coming from Persian words. They are Birian and Birinj. The meaning of Birian is Fried before Cooking and the meaning of birinj is rice. The biriyani was brought to India by Mughals. Biriyani is a complete meal. It includes rice, meat, vegetables and spices. Sometimes in addition eggs and potatoes in certain varieties.
One of the popular legends associated with the evolution of the biriyani is the story related to the wife of Shah Jahan. She asked chefs to prepare a balanced diet of rice and meat for malnourished soldiers. They prepared a dish with rice, meat, spices and saffron. It is the biriyani.
The Main Ingredients of Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani.
For the preparation of Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani uses long-grained rice like basmati.
Any types of meat can use for this recipe like chicken, beef, pork. This recipe is based on chicken. But you can add any meat for this according to your favor. The chicken should be marinated to make the biriyani. For marinating chicken, use curd or yogurt.
To enhance the flavor and taste of the biriyani, can add spices. For preparing biriyani, is added many spices like cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, garlic. Also for the preparation of the Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani, adds biriyani masala / garam masala. It is a powder that made from good quality whole spices. It is used to increase the flavor of the biriyani. But you have to choose a good quality garam masala / biriyani masala. If you don’t have garam masala you can prepare it yourself.
Saffron is available in the supermarkets. It is a natural coloring. But if you difficult to find them you can use biriyani coloring. Coloring is used to add color to the rice. You can choose green/orange/pink / any other color for preparing biriyani.
- Curd / Yoghurt
This is added to marinate the chicken.
There are few types of biriyani.
1. Calcutta Biriyani
- This biriyani is originated from exiling Wajid Ali Shah (Nawab of Awadh) from Lucknow. This biriyani belongs to Bengal. Rosewater and saffron are added to enhance the flavor and color. Potato and eggs are also added to this biriyani.
2. Lucknow Biriyani
- The preparation of Lucknow biriyani is mostly similar to the preparation of Calcutta Biriyani. But the difference is the absence of potatoes. It uses a few spices but has a rich flavor.
3. Thalasseri Biriyani
- Thalasseri Biriyani is popular among Malabar Muslims. This biriyani is originated in Kerala. Adding meat and spices are similar to the other varieties.
4. Bombay Biriyani
- Bombay Biriyani is Irani style biriyani. This biriyani gives a sweet flavor. Unlike the other varieties, this is different because of using oils and fried onions.
5. Sindhi Biriyani
- This biriyani is a famous part of their cuisine in Pakistan. The main ingredients of Sindhi Biriyani are rice, meat, and vegetables.
6. Tehari Biriyani
- Tehari Biriyani is a street food in Kashmir. This is made as a Hindu variation.
7. Dindigul Biriyani
- Dindigul Biriyani is originated from Dindigul in Tamil Nadu. Use spices, curd and lemon juice to give the sour and tangy taste.
8. Ambur Biriyani
- Ambur biriyani is derived from the Northern part of Tamil Nadu and introduced by Nawab of Arcot. This is also called the Vaniyambadi Biriyani because it is a famous dish in Ambur as well as Vaniyambadi. The dominating element of Ambur biriyani is meat.
9. Mughlai Biriyani
- Mughlai biriyani is originated from Mughlai. This biriyani was famous in India after the Mughlai came to India. Now it is famous in Delhi.
The Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani can be served for lunch, dinner, functions, gatherings, parties and also it can be made as a family recipe. This recipe is widely spread all over the world. Anyone can make this at home easily.
Hydrebadi Chicken Dum Biriyani
- 1 kilograms Chicken
- 1 kilogram Basmati Rice
- 400 grams Curd
- 4 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Lemon Extract 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 7 sticks Cinnamon
- 10 Cardamom
- 8 Cloves
- 1 ½ tsp Caraway Seeds
- Coriander Leaves
- Mint Leaves
- 5 Green Chilies
- 3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ¾ cup Fresh Milk
- 8 pinches Saffron If you don't have saffron, you can use yellow food color.
- 4 Onions
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 3 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Wash the chicken and cut into large pieces.
- Grind green chilies and make a paste.
- Take 3 inches saffron and ½ fresh milk for 1 cup, and take 5 pinches saffron and ¼ fresh milk for another cup. Then mix well them separately.
- Cut onions into thin pieces and fry them until brown color.
- If you don't have garam masala powder, you can make it.
Making Garam Masala Powder
- Take 2 tsp caraway seeds, 8 cinnamon, 15 cardamom and 8 cloves into a bowl.
Marinate the Chicken
- Take a bowl and add chicken pieces.
- Then add curd, chili powder, turmeric powder, lemon extract, ginger garlic paste, salt, cardamom powder, ½ tsp caraway seeds, 4 cinnamon sticks, 5 cardamom and 4 cloves.
- Next add few coriander and mint leaves.
- Add 2 tsp garam masala powder and green chili paste.
- Then add saffron with ½ cup of fresh milk mixture or if you don't have saffron you can add yellow food coloring.
- Add half of fried onion and 1 cup of oil.
- Then mix all together well.
- Close the lid and marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator or you can marinate this for over night.
- After marinating the chicken, put into the biriyani pot.
- Put basmati rice, and water to a pot.
- Soak rice for an hour.
- Take another pot to cook the rice.
- Put water, salt, 1 tsp caraway seeds, 3 cinnamon, 4 cloves, 5 cardamom, 3 tsp oil, few coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add soaked rice to that pot.
- Let it boil on high flame. About 3 minutes. Cook the rice upto 70%.
- Then switch off the flame.
- Add the cooked rice to the biriyani pot as a layer on the chicken.
- Then add remaining saffron / yellow food color to the biriyani.
- Add few coriander leaves and mint leaves, 1 tsp garam masala powder, fried onions and ghee.
- Then cover the biriyani pot with a aluminium foil.
- Next seal the pot by the lid. When boiling the biriyani, should not escape the steam from the edges of the lid.
- Cook the biriyani on high flame for 5 minutes.
- Then again cook the biriyani on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Take a iron plate/dosa tawa, place on the flame and keep the biriyani pot over the plate.
- Then cook the biriyani on low flame for 30 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and rest for 10 minutes over the plate.
- Next, remove the aluminium foil and mix the chicken with rice.
- Then it can be eaten.