Lamington is an Australian dessert made from sponge cake. It is a soft buttery spong cake squares coated with chocolate icing and coconut. This is a perfect food item for morning and evening tea. Sometimes they are filled with jam and whipped cream. They can be not only using sponge cake, but also using butter cake or yellow cake.
The baking tray that is used for the preparation of lamington should be greased with butter or parchment paper for the purpose of not sticking.
Table of Contents
History of Lamington
Despite some intriguing claims from New Zealand, the lamington originated in Toowoomba, Brisbane, between 1896 and 1901.
A maid-servant to Lord Lamington, the completely British eighth Governor of Queensland, is thought to have produced this Australian culinary icon, which comprises of sponge cake dipped in chocolate and abundantly dusted with fine desiccated coconut, by mistake at work. The maid-servant was working at Brisbane’s Government House when she dropped the Governor’s favorite sponge cake into melting chocolate.
Lord Lamington was not a wasteful guy, so he proposed that the chocolate be covered in coconut to avoid sticky fingers. Lord Lamington ate this new taste sensation with gusto, and everyone declared the maid-blunder servant’s a huge success
This recipe is also easy to make at home. It is a very attractive dessert that can make a delightful dining table. And also it can serve as a gift for friends. The lamington is suitable for birthday parties, friend gatherings, family parties, etc.
Preparation of The Lamington
- 1½ cups Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 100 grams Butter
- 1 cups Blended Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ cups Warm Milk
- 1 cups Dessicated Coconut
Preparation of Chocolate Sauce
- ¼ cups Cocoa Powder
- 1 cups Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
- ½ cups Milk
- Take a tray (8 inch baking dish) and brush butter on it.
- Then put a parchment paper on it and keep this aside.
- Take a bowl and add butter into it.
- Beat it for a few seconds.
- Then add blended sugar and beat again.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat them well.
- Next, add vanilla essence and beat well.
- Take a bowl and put flour and baking powder.
- Then sift it.
- Next, add the sifted flour to the bated mixture and add pinch of salt.
- Then, mix well.
- Add warm milk into it and mix well.
- Transfer the batter to baking dish.
- Then bake it in preheated oven at 180°C for 30 to 35 minutes.
- After baking it, let it cool completely.
- Then cut squares.
Making chocolate sauce
- Take a bowl and add icing sugar to it.
- Then add cocoa powder.
- Then mix it well.
- Add melted butter into it.
- Add milk little by little.
- Mix it well.
- Take desiccated coconut to a bowl.
- Coat each cake piece with chocolate sauce.
- Then, roll them in desiccated coconut.
- Now, they are ready to serve.