Chow Mein is a delicious food that belongs to Chinese cuisine.
Chinese cuisine is one of the most popular cuisines in the world. Chinese foods are very colorful and attractive. In Chinese foods, the fragrance is very important. Herbs are added to foods to get a good smell. Chinese foods are more creative using various grains, vegetables, and the meat of different animals. Poultry (Chicken, Duck, Turkey, Pigeon), Seafood (Salmon, Shrimp, Prawn), Eggs and Milk are used in Chinese foods. Dried vegetables (Eggplant, Beans, Potato, Pepper), dried fish and dried pork are also used in Chinese cooking.
Chinese people are used as a way to store foods to use in winter. It is Drying Vegetables. Than fresh vegetables, it has a special taste. Chinese people are used pickling to preserve the vegetables. It has also a special taste. They use microwave and baking ovens for cooking foods.
According to the opinion of italki, There are few types of cooking methods.
- Stir frying
- Cutting ingredients into slices
- Oil is heated at a very high temperature and food is cooking in hot oil are some of them.
Chinese cuisine is divided into four categories. They are the North, South, East and West cuisine. They are also categorized into eight sub groups.
- Shandong cuisine
- Sichuan cuisine
- Cantonese cuisine
- Fujian cuisine
- Jiangsu cuisine
- Zhejiang cuisine
- Hunan cuisine
- Anhui cuisine
easytourchina explains that Chinese cuisine has four flavors.
- Xian = The natural flavor of ingredients.
- Xiang = A fragrant aroma of dishes
- Nong = The richness of a sauce
- You er bu ni = The taste and texture of fat without the greasiness of stodginess
Chow Mein is a Chinese traditional food and it is a type of noodle. Chow Mein means stir fried noodle. The main ingredients are Noodles, Meat, Vegetables, Chow Mein Sauce, and Spices. Chow Mein is originated in Northern China. There are so many variations of Chow Mein. The taste of this dish is amazing. It has a spicy delicious taste.
Chow Mein and Chop Suey both are Chinese stir fried noodles. Both are used the same ingredients but the concepts are a bit different.
In American restaurants, Chow Mein is a popular adaptable dish. In Westernized restaurants, Chow Mein is served with soy sauce and vegetables like celery, water chestnuts. Chow Mein is also a famous dish in Indian Chinese cuisine. In India, it is served with Hakka or Gravy.
The Main Ingredients
- This is the main ingredient of Chow Mein. There are a few types of noodles for preparing Chow Mein. Yakisoba noodles, Hong Kong style noodles and Spaghetti noodles are some of them.
- Chow Mein Sauce
- This is made with chili sauce, soy sauce, tomato sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- For preparing Chow Mein, use some vegetables like leeks, onion, carrots, cabbage. You can also add mushrooms, bell peppers, water chestnuts.
There are two main types of Chow Mein.
- Steamed Chow Mein
- This has a softer texture, while the latter is crisper and drier. Steamed Chow Mein uses some vegetables for it. Soy sauce is mixed with steamed Chow Mein before serving.
- Crispy Chow Mein (Hong Kong Style Chow Mein)
- Fried, flat noodles use for this Chow Mein. Soft Cow Mein uses long, rounded noodles. This Chow Mein is topped with thick brown sauce.
Chow Mein can be served at parties, Gatherings, and signs of the love of friends and family members. Also, it can be eaten as breakfast, dinner. This dish is a famous dish all over the world.
Table of Contents
Let’s See How to Make Chow Mein.
- 200 grams Noodles
- 200 grams Chicken
- 1 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chili Sauce
- 2 ½ tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic and ginger paste
- ¼ tsp Pepper powder
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 tsp Chopped garlic and ginger
- ½ tsp Chili flakes
- 50 grams Leeks
- 2 Spring Onion
- 50 grams Carrot
- 50 grams cabbage
- 25 grams Chili pepper
- 40 grams Capsicum
- Add water and a pinch of salt to a pot and heat it.
- After well heated, add noodles and boil until noodles are soft.
- Then, add 1 tsp oil to boiled noodles and mix well.
Making Chow Mein Sauce
- Take a bowl and add tomato sauce, chili sauce, 2 tbsp soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, sugar, and salt
- Mix it well.
Making Marinated Frying Chicken
- Take a bowl and add chicken to it.
- Add ½ tbsp soy sauce, garlic and ginger paste, pepper powder, pinch of salt, and corn flour.
- Mix them until chicken is evenly coated.
- Add oil (about 2 tbsp) and heat on medium heat.
- Add the marinated chicken and fry them.
Making Chow Mein
- Take a pot, add 2 tbsp oil and heat it on medium heat,
- Then add chopped garlic, ginger, chili flakes. Mix and heat well.
- Next add leeks, spring onion, carrots, cabbage, chili pepper and capsicum.
- Then mix it well.
- Add prepared noodles, chow mein sauce and fried chicken pieces to that mixture.
- Then mix well.
- Now chow mein is ready for serving.
Do you like also Indian cuisine?