Chocolate cake is a type of cake that is made with cocoa powder, melted chocolate, or both. This is one of the most delicious dessert in the world. It has a uniquely delicious taste and rich texture. January 27 is the National Chocolate Cake Day.
What is a Cake
Cakes are baked goods that are high in sugar, fat, and eggs, and can include a range of ingredients such as fruits and tastes like vanilla extracts.
There are many types of cakes in the world such as, butter cake, chocolate cake, ribbon cake, apple cake, date cake, pineapple cake, etc.
Cakes are generally connected with life’s milestones, such as weddings, showers, engagements, and birthdays, but they can also be served as a simple dessert with fruit or eaten as a snack.
A basic flour mixture is a basis for sweet and rich cakes, as well as small cakes known as cookies, and their savory counterparts, quick-breads and yeast bread.
History of Chocolate Cake
Dr. James Baker learned how to create chocolate by grinding cocoa beans between two large circular millstones in 1764, and the history of chocolate cake begins there. Eliza Leslie, a well-known Philadelphia cookbook author, wrote the first chocolate cake recipe in 1847 in The Lady’s Receipt Book. Unlike other chocolate cake recipes, this one used chopped chocolate. Pastry chefs created exquisite chocolate treats for the rich elites in the 19th century, particularly in France and Austria.
Types of Chocolate Cakes
Depending on the recipe and the type of chocolate used, there are many distinct types of chocolate cake. Sachertorte is a well-known Austrian cake. It is the world’s most famous chocolate cake. In 1832, Austrian Franz Sacher created the Sachertorte for Prince Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria. Three layers of chocolate sponge cake with liberally spread apricot jam in between and on top make up this delightful masterpiece. Dark chocolate icing covers the entire cake. It’s traditionally served with a dish of unsweetened whipped cream.
Chocolate cake from Germany isn’t actually German. It was named after Samuel German, an English-American chocolate manufacturer who created a dark baking chocolate formulation that was utilized in the cake recipe. A tiered chocolate cake with coconut-pecan icing is called a German chocolate cake.
A Joffre cake is a chocolate buttermilk layer cake filled with chocolate ganache and topped with a chocolate buttercream that was developed in commemoration of a visit by French Marshal Joseph Joffre shortly after World War I to Bucharest’s Casa Capșa restaurant.
Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, meaning “Black Forest Cherry-torte,” is a chocolate sponge cake with a rich cherry filling based on the German dish Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte. Black Forest gateau is often made out of many layers of chocolate sponge cake sandwiched between layers of whipped cream and cherries.
A popular treat that combines the features of a flourless chocolate cake and a soufflé is molten chocolate cake. It’s also known as chocolate moelleux (from French for “soft”), chocolate lava cake, or simply lava cake because of the dessert’s molten chocolate center.
Chocolate Cake Recipe
Making cake layers
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cups Unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 cups Warm coffee
- 2/3 cups Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Making Chocolate Frosting
- 340 grams Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Unsalted butter
- 5 cups Powdered sugar
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
Making Cake Layers
- Prepare 2 medium cake pans. Brush with butter and place a parchment paper oonn the bottom.
- Take a large bowl and add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Mix them well. A few tiny lumps are okay.
- Take another bowl and add warm coffee , olive oil, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Mix them well.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture.
- Then, mix all together. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour same amount of the cake batter to the both cake pans.
- Place in the center rack of preheated oven and bake it for 30 minutes at 180°C.
- After baking well take out from the oven.
- After cooling at room temperature, remove and invert the both cakes.
- Then remove the parchment paper.
Making Chocolate Frosting
- After cooling it completely, take a bowl and add cheese and butter.
- Beat them well until the mixture is creamy.
- Sift the sugar and cocoa powder to the cream.
- Then add salt.
- Then beat them again.
- Next add vanilla extract and beat again.
- Then, take one cake layer and place the chocolate frosting and spread evenly.
- Then place the second layer of cake on the frosting.
- Again place the frostong and spread evenly.
- And then, sread the frosting side of the chocolate cake.
- Now you can serve it.