The Sinhala name of Milk Rice is Kiribath. This is one of the important traditional food in Sri Lanka and is a combination of rice and coconut milk. Kiri bath or Milk Rice is used to mark joyful beginnings, auspicious occasions, or traditions like weddings, birthdays, openings of a new workplace, starting of a new business, and before going for an exam or new job. This food is considered a symbol of prosperity.
In Tamil, Milk Rice is known as Paal Soru. It is enjoyed on Sinhala New Year and the main dish place on the Sinhala and Tamil New Year, the head of the family, feeds a mouthful of milky rice as a symbol of the tradition. Also traditionally, Milk Rice is given to children as their first solid food.
The combination of rice and coconut milk gives a tasty output. The rice is cooked in milk and then it is flattened on a shallow plate. The Milk Rice can be served by cutting into square or diamond shapes. Nowadays, Milk Rice is decorated into various shapes like flowers, animals. Also at present, the Kiribath Cake is a very famous item in a function.
There are many accompaniments used with Milk Rice. Lunumiris is the most commonly used accompaniment. Chili paste, Seeni sambal, some curries like chicken, salmon and also it can be served with along jaggery and bananas.
- Lunimiris – It is a combination of chopped onions mixed with chili flakes, grated umbalakada(Maldive fish) and a bit of lime.
- Seeni Sambal – It is a famous dish which is made by onion and sugar. When milk rice is served with seeni sambal, it gives a sweetness and also a spiciness.
To enhance the taste and appearance of the milk rice can be added various ingredients like Maldive fish, rampe leaves.
Variations of Milk Rice(Kiribath)
Imbul Kiri Bath
- Imbul kiribath is the sweet variation of kiribath/milk rice. It can be prepared as dumplings, cup shaped or elongated moulds. It is made by small amount of milk rice spreading it on a banana leaf or non stick sheet and the sweet filling known as Pani Pol which is made of coconut and treacle is placed in the center. Then the banana leaf or non stick sheet is folded and rolled vertically. Then, you can press firm to take a cylindrical shape.
Mung Kiri Bath (Green Gram Milk Rice)
- Mung kiribath is another variation of kiribath/milk rice. This is a good and healthy type of kiribath. The additional ingredient of this food is mung beans (green gram). It is a ingredient which contains a lot of vitamins and nutrients. So, this is an healthy and wholesome breakfast for an active lifestyle. Green gram is soaked overnight or boiled before the preparation of mung kiribath.
- Pongal is an important tamil dish which is used for celebrating the New Year. The term ‘pongal’ in tamil means ‘to boil’. It is made in earthenware pots on a wood fire. There are some variations of Pongal. They are Sakkarai Pongal and Ven Pongal or Melagu Pongal. Sakkarai Pongal gives sweetness with the addition of jaggery, ghee, cashewnuts, raisins and cardamom. ven pongal gives a savoury taste.
Bada Iringu Kiri Bath (Corn Milk Rice)
- This is also another variation of kiribath/milk rice. The additional ingredient of this meal is bada iringu(Corn kernels). The corn is soaked overnight and boiled at least 30 minutes before the preparation of milk rice. Bada iringu (Corn0 is also rich of vitamins and nutrients. So, this variation is also a healthy meal.
Ingredients of Kiribath (Milk Rice)
- Sudu Kekulu Rice(White/Red Kekulu Rice)
- For the preparation of milk rice can be used either white or red rice. Short grain rice like “Kekulu Rice” is most commonly used for the milk rice. It is available in Sri Lankan supermarkets. But, you are in another country it is not easy to find them. So, you can use Jasmine rice / Basmati rice as substitutions. Further, you should take a rice variety that become mushy.
- Condensed coconut milk
- Coconut Milk
Kiribath (Milk Rice)
- 500 grams Sudu Kekulu Rice
- 4 cups Condensed coconut milk
- 5 cups Water
- 2,3 Rampe
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk
- Wash the rice well and remove stones and sands.
- Place the rice in a large saucepan.
- Add water, rampe and salt to the rice and cook well.
- After boiling the rice well, add condensed coconut milk and stir well until mix everything.
- Then reduce the heat and cook the rice again.
- After cookong the rice, remove from fire and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer and flatten the mixture on a large shallow that is with a banana leave or non stick sheet.
- Draw lines on the top surface according to the shape that you like. (diamond, cylindrical)
- Let cool for few minutes and after that cut into shapes.
- Now, ready the milk rice and serve it with accompaniment like lunumiris.
What’s up friends, pleasant piece of writing and good arguments commented
here, I am truly enjoying by these.
This info is invaluable. Where can I find out more?
I’ve been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners
and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be
much more useful than ever before.
Thank you very much, dear! Our purpose is to provide knowledgeable things and foods.
Wow, awesome weblog layout! How long have you been running a blog for?
you made running a blog look easy. The whole look of your
website is great, let alone the content material!
Thank you for visiting our website and commenting us.
I am actually grateful to the holder of this web
page who has shared this wonderful piece of
writing at here.
Thank you for your appreciation!
Hi there, I found your blog by means of Google while searching for a comparable matter,
your website got here up, it looks good. I have bookmarked
it in my google bookmarks.
Hi there, simply turned into alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it is really informative.
I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful in the event you proceed this
in future. A lot of folks shall be benefited from your writing.
Thank you very much. I always provide you the quality based detailed articles. Thanks for visiting the website.
Thanks in support of sharing such a nice opinion, post is pleasant, thats why i have read
Thank you so much❤ We encourage your appreciation.
all the time i used to read smaller articles which as well
clear their motive, and that is also happening with
this article which I am reading at this time.
I’m happy to hear about that.