Sri Lankan pancakes are a delicious recipe which is easy to make. It is served for breakfast/tea time snacks. It is also known as ‘wellawahum’ by the ancient Sri Lankans. It is basically made of pancakes stuffed with sweet coconut also known as Pani Pol. Sri Lankan pancake is a food which is spiced sweet coconut filling wrapped in a thin crepe.
The sweet coconut is traditionally made with Kithul treacle. But in this recipe, I used Kithul jaggery instead of Kithul treacle. If you are unable to find both treacle and jaggery you can also use sugar. Kithul is a palm family tree and it can be found in some south Asian and southeast Asian countries. This is also called as Sri Lankan pancake roll. Because they are not similar to normal pancakes, they are rolled.
Table of Contents
The Filling in Pancakes
The filling consists of Grated coconut, Kithul treacle/jaggary/sugar, spice (commonly cardamom), and a touch of salt. . Additionally you can also use any other spice you like. Some people use cardamom and nutmeg together. Some use cardamom and cloves together. And some use Ceylon cinnamon. Although you are using any spice you have to powder the spices. And also the coconut should be roasted when making the sweet coconut. Because if it has moisture the texture will be changed and will be spoiled quickly.
- 250 g Flour
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 200 g Juggery
- 150 g Coconut
- Cardamom powder
- Take a pot and add jaggery, salt and some water.
- Then mix well at allow to dissolve on medium heat.
- After dissolved well, add coconut and mix well.
- After cooking well, add cardamom powder and again mix well.
- Then remove from the heat.
- Take a bowl, and add flour, salt and turmeric powder, coconut milk and some water.
- Then mix well together until get a thick mixture.
- Then take a pan and add some pancake mixture.
- Next it spread as a thin circle.
- After it is cooked well, remove and put the filling on the wrapping.
- Then roll it.
- Now the pancake is ready.